June 24, 2011

BBQ Chicken Pizza

I am sure this will come as no surprise due to my lack of posts over the past two weeks, but I have taken a little hiatus from cooking. I always go through these phases where I will cook something new every night for a while, and then take a week off to eat leftovers out of the freezer and meet my take out quota for the month. It is especially difficult to get motivated this time of year when the days are long and I am not even thinking about dinner until 7:30. The nights that I can pull it together and put dinner on the table, pizza is often involved. I have mentioned before that I like to keep fresh dough in the freezer for these last minute dinners because it keeps for a month or two and it thaws out in less than an hour. One of my all-time favorite pizzas is BBQ chicken pizza. Using rotisserie chicken that I have either purchased or roasted myself and a bottled BBQ sauce makes this dinner essentially thoughtless! I usually hit this with a heavy hand of cilantro to finish it off, but this is totally optional.

BBQ Chicken Pizza
Serves 3

1 ball of fresh pizza dough rolled out to a 12-inch diameter
Cornmeal for dusting and rolling
1+ cup of bottled BBQ sauce (I use KC Masterpiece Original)- DIVIDED
1 ½ cups diced or shredded chicken
¼ finely diced red onion
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
1 cup Monterey jack cheese (Gouda or mozzarella are also delicious)
½ cup chopped cilantro

Preheat oven to 450.
Mix the shredded chicken, red onion, jalapeno pepper and ½ cup of the BBQ sauce.
Roll the pizza dough out on a surface that is lightly dusted with cornmeal and place on your pizza stone or on your baking sheet.
Spread the remaining BBQ sauce over the dough followed by chicken mixture and then topped with the cheese.
Bake in a preheated 450F oven until golden brown, about 8-12 minutes.
Serve garnished with the chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment