May 31, 2011

Tuna Salad

This is one of those breakthrough recipes for me. I will be honest, when I first read the list of ingredients I was skeptical on how it would all come together. Cottage cheese in tuna salad sounded a bit off to be, but honestly the addition of cottage cheese to act as a binder in place of mayonnaise is just brilliant. I am always looking for innovative ways to cut fat and calories while keeping the integrity of the dish intact, but I would have never though of this. To put this in perspective, 2/3 cup of mayo has over 500 calories and 52 grams of fat (we all know the low fat never tastes as good!). On the other hand, 4% milk fat cottage cheese has 220 calories and around 10 grams of fat in 2/3 cup.  Aside from being a healthier alternative, this recipe packs a well-rounded flavor that is absolutely delicious.  I know it sounds a little different, but I highly recommended giving it a try!

Tuna Salad
Serves 3-4
Adapted from Simply Recipes

1 (11 ounce) package of tuna fish (if packed in water, drain it)
2/3 cup of cottage cheese
3 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
1/4 cup onion, chopped finely
2 celery stalk, chopped finely
2 Tablespoon of capers
Juice of half of a lemon
Pinch or two of dill
2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment